Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Dresden, Germany



DRESDEN, GERMANY

 GEOGRAPHY FASCINATION:

I enjoyed the overall city of Dresden.  I felt like it used its public space in such an attractive way.  Whether it was a market square, outside the Zwinger Palace, a green space along a pedestrian street surrounded by trees with cobblestone paths, or a concrete space along a pedestrian street complete with fountains, I loved it.  This is something I think American can improve on.  Our public spaces aren’t always the most ideal, and in Dresden they were!  I also liked to see that the renovations and new buildings being built in Dresden were trying to reflect the culture and its history.  Although the city was bombed, the new buildings were built to preserve the style of its original architecture and culture.  Without construction like this, the city would not have as much of a unique feel to it.  







 FAVORITE ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE:

My favorite academic experience in Dresden was seeing the Kunsthof Passage.  This was one of my favorite geography academic experiences on the trip.  I really enjoyed seeing this because it was not something that was hard to understand… the whole idea of a passage was quite obvious: they are made for locals to enjoy, and to have something uniquely special to them.  I enjoyed how it was not very touristy.  Although we did not get to hear it’s songs from the rain, it was raining enough where I could understand how beautiful it must be.  





  

FAVORITE EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITY:

My favorite non- academic experiences was hanging out at the A&O Hostel/Hotel’s Skybar.  Along with its great view of the city of Dresden, the drinks were good, and the sunsets were even better.  I just remember being so refreshed after the long days being able to take the elevator many floors up, order a drink, and admire the view.  It was a great place for everyone on the trip to hang out and to get to know each other better, since it was only just over a week into the trip.  Everyone on the trip went up there, if not once, every night like I did. 










No comments:

Post a Comment