Thursday, July 18, 2013

Brno, Czech Republic

BRNO, CZECH REPUBLIC


Geography Fascination:

I really liked how we got to see a different side of Brno than any other city.  When we visited the Roma Museum, we were in the "ghetto" of the city.  It was so unique to anything we saw before.  This part was way run down and full of integration, especially with the Roma people in which we learned about in the Roma Museum we visited.  What also was fascinating was that the main public square was just passed the ghetto. It was not a gentle transition between the two. We basically crossed the street and a small park to the right, down a street and ba bammm-- the main downtown square for both tourists and the local citizens of Brno.

"Ghetto"

Brno Town Square

Favorite Academic Experience:

My favorite academic experience in Brno was visiting the Roma museum.. hands down.  It was so very interesting.  Going into the museum I did not know anything besides the typical stereotypes about the Gypsy people, and I sure ended up being ashamed of that! I learned so much about the Roma people specifically in Brno.  I did not realize there was such an integration with the Roma people, and discrimination in the Czech Republic.  The museum staff were so passionate about helping the Roma people of Brno, it was inspiring.  They were so welcoming and movingly educated each one of us on a topic we were clueless about.  I think everyone truely enjoyed this museum.  To top it off, the adorable little childrens' books made by Roma children in the area.  It was so nice of them.



Favorite Non- Academic Experience:

Hands down, I loved hanging by the lakeside the evening we arrived.  It was SO peaceful.  The "beach" really reminded me of home at the cabin.  It was a needed solitude.  Although we had plenty of silence laying by the lakeside, all my fellow classmates that were there bonded a lot!  We all enjoyed our time, and it was great to just sit!


Place To Eat:

A couple other people and I ate at a restaurant called Boulevard.  It was delicious and not too expensive!



No comments:

Post a Comment