Monday, July 8, 2013

Berlin, Germany

BERLIN, GERMANY 



GEOGRAPHY FASCINATION:

Berlin was my first ever experience with European public transportation.  Because of this, the overall aspect of the U and S Bahns along with the trams was so fascinating to me in a broad way.  I remember being so amazed with the timing of the transportation.  It was impeccable and very reliable.  The overall geography of this was very crazy.  It was weird thinking about how we were underground and at so many levels.  I definitely had to get used to thinking in such a strange dimension.  One of the funniest aspects of transportation was the stop and go “men”.  I miss the men… much cooler than our hands.





FAVORITE EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITY:

 My favorite extra- curriculat activity was visiting Berlin’s East Side Gallery. The Berlin Wall East Side Gallery is a 1.3km-long section of the wall near the center of Berlin. Approximately 106 paintings by artists from all over the world cover this memorial for freedom and make it the largest open air gallery in the world.  I loved seeing this, and it’s definitely worth a check off the bucket list.  My favorite part was seeing one of the most famous paintings on the Berlin Wall, depicting Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev kissing his East German counterpart Erich Honecker kissing. 






FAVORITE ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE:

My favorite academic experience in Berlin was the visiting the Jewish museum.  The museum was nothing like anything I had ever seen before.  The building’s architecture and structure made it much most moving to the viewer and it added a lot to the experience.  It was in a zigzag pattern to portray how the Jews felt in the Holocaust.  It was such a strange feeling.  I felt like it portrayed to us as an audience effectively it’s purpose. The overall museum was amazing, but my obvious most fascinating part of the museum was seeing Memory Void.  It was so beautiful.  Over 10,000 faces covered the floor to all innocent victims of war and violence.  The void was empty besides these heavy faces sitting on the concrete floor.  It was such a moving experience.  In the void it was silent; however when you walk on the faces and even pick them up, the sounds of iron clinking together echoed through the whole space.  I was the only one in there for the most part, and that really made it extra moving to me- to be amongst all these empty faces in such a silent and simple place.  My mind felt blank and consisted of nothing but those beautiful, yet frightening faces I was stepping on, viewing, and touching.  





FAVORITE PLACE TO EAT:

I really enjoyed out last group dinner in Berlin at The Prater Garten.  I had duck with cabbage and dumplings and it was delicious!  The evening was beautiful to eat outside, although a bit windy, but that added to the enjoyment!  I think I enjoyed it so much because it was so unique to Berlin.  It had a lot of German character so that was definitely a plus.  The beer was also super good… I would recommend the lemonade beer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment